Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Humble Meat Ball

I don't enjoy cooking all that much. The prepping. The timing. The lottery on whether it's going to be a smash hit or a total dud. Then, cleaning up afterwards, not fun at the best of times, let alone if the dish has completely flopped. However, I do love baking. A cake, biscuit, slice or dessert. Bring it on. But I never pretend to like cooking. For all my negativity, I do have a couple of signature meals, of which I have conquered and mastered, many times. I could even fool people to believe I'm an alright cook when I prepare the handful of dishes I do best. A phony? Maybe.


I first made this meatball recipe 7 (or so) years back. It was an instant hit with Scott (who might I add is not too fussy when it comes to the food I make, he's very supportive of everything I endeavour to cook. Bless him). So I decided to take the balls to the streets... well at least branch them out to my family... confidently bringing a batch of them along to one of our large get togethers. The fussiest of food critics... my Dad... even liked them and my brothers? Well, they devoured the plate in less than 5 minutes. Encouraging!


Anyway, over the years I have made these babies on countless occasions, for friends and family and they are guaranteed to impress the masses. I've shared this recipe at the request of numerous satisfied customers, who have added the recipe to their finger food menus for parties. They're quick. Basic. Flavoursome. 


Meat Balls


500g mince meat (I have only ever tried beef... boring I know... but this recipe could be substituted with chicken or lamb nicely)
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs (possibly the most time consuming part, breaking the bread into tiny pieces)
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp fresh or 1 tsp dried oregano (finely chopped)
1 onion (finely chopped, the finer, the better)
1 egg (lightly beaten)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp fresh or 1 tsp dried parsley (chopped)
1 tbsp olive oil (for cooking)


Combine all the above ingredients, roll into balls. Whichever size suit the need. Small are great for taking along on a plate to a party. Larger size is perfect to top of a yummy pasta dish.


Enjoy the taste... and simplicity!



1 comment:

  1. They look delicious, great work & yes, love a good meatball, they freeze beautifully too if you get on a roll (tee hee) & make a billion. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)