Thursday, January 19, 2012

Banana Cake with Passionfruit Icing

It's been a little over two weeks since making Angus' birthday cake and I haven't so much as looked at anything baking related since. I have missed it. Baking is a necessity for me. Love the entire process, from the selection of a recipe, to the tasting of the finished product. Today I chose a classic, with a twist, using a recipe I haven't attempted previously. The thing that struck me about this one, is just how simple it looked upon first glance. And it was every bit as straight forward to make. Bananas are back to their bountiful best, much to the delight of every member in our household. When they were scarce and painfully expensive, those were some dark days.


As per usual, I had my loyal assistant in the mix, questioning each step and ingredient and utensil I touched. I have a sneaking suspicion he's in it for the beaters/wooden spoon. The mention of them every 45 seconds and the insistence that "there is enough mixture in the cake tin now Mama", only add weight to my theory. Taken from my old faithful Women's Weekly COOK book, this cake is heaven sent. The passionfruit icing is a luscious addition and has left me wanting seconds... and thirds... and so on.

Banana Cake with passionfruit icing

125g Butter, softened
3/4 cup (165g) firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups (225g) Self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 cup mashed banana
1/2 cup (120g) sour cream
1/4 cup (60ml) milk

Passionfruit Icing

1 1/2 cups (240g) icing sugar
1 teaspoon soft butter
2 tablespoons passionfruit pulp, approximately

Preheat oven to moderate (180/160 degrees fan-forced)
Grease 15cm x 25cm loaf pan; line base with baking paper
Beat butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy
Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined
Transfer mixture to large bowl
Using wooden spoon, stir in sifted dry ingredients, banana, cream and milk
Spread mixture into pan
Bake, uncovered, about 50 minutes
Stand cake 5 minutes then turn onto wire rack; turn cake top-side up to cool
Make passionfruit icing
Spread cold cake with passionfruit icing

Place icing sugar in small heatproof bowl.
Stir in butter and enough pulp to give a firm paste
Stir over hot water until icing is of a spreadable consistency, taking care not to overheat
Use immediately


Recipe note: 2 large ripe bananas make 1 cup of mashed banana. It is important that the bananas are over-ripe: not only do they mash easily but, if they are underripe, the cake will be too heavy. A banana's natural starch is converted to sugar during the ripening process and it's this natural sugar that contributes to the correct balance of ingredients. The cake develops a crusty edge due to this sugar content.




11 comments:

  1. Yummo! I love a good banana cake, and it looks nice and moist with the addition of sour cream in it...I know what you mean with the helpers eyeing off the spoon...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Banana Cake is my absolute fave and teamed with passionfruit - wow you cannot go wrong there. Love the spoon shot, I have to make sure I have 3 dirty spoons everytime to be licked clean :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's really only one word for this post........YUM!!!!!!
    Gorgeous photo of your little man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummo! I loooooooooooove banana cake, banana bread, anything bananary!!!! I am totes pinning this one ready to make for my Monday morning special visitors. Now if someone could just come clean my house, I could totally impress them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its all about licking the spoon and beaters...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yummy...this recipe is quite different to the banana cake that I make, I love the addition of the spice and sour cream.
    I do love having helpers in the kitchen despite it taking so much longer :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weird, I couldn't comment this morning on the computer but can from the iPad....so strange

    ReplyDelete
  8. it looks & sounds divine julie. banana & passionfruit...love them both alot. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Fave J.
    Wait til Felix wants to help and lick the spoon too, then it becomes a battle of wills as to who gets to lick first!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my dear friend you another divine cake to make my mouth water have to try this one with the girls tomorrow for after school tea they will love it. So great to catch up again. Hope you have an amazing day sweetheart.

    Always Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)