Saturday, July 16, 2011

New Beginnings

I am officially back in the work force. It's been a whirlwind few days, but I made it through the tough two, relatively unscathed. I am nursing a nasty cold, though I'm not surprised given the emotional stress I placed on myself this past week. The early morning starts in freezing temps probably haven't helped either. It was hard leaving Felix. Really hard. The first day, he didn't take it too well. Neither of us did. I made a point of being extra strong, for his and Angus' sake. Then in the afternoon, when I picked him up, the tears bubbled over. He looked so tired, so quiet, so traumatised. Angus, on the other hand, was a picture of happiness. His new preschool has ticked all the boxes for the little big man and on this count, I am thrilled. Day two was another difficult departure. Again, I was forced to detach myself from the emotion of the situation and just do what I needed to do. Therefore the relief that flooded through me when I arrived to pick Felix up and he was playing contentedly, dissolved some of the anguish and guilt I had been feeling. Day two, was a better day.

Work itself was surreal. Getting up to speed with changes, sorting out my workspace and trawling through the 5000 odd emails (!) consumed most of my time. And after only two days, it felt like I had never left. I do love the company I work for, the people make it all the more special and I could not have felt more welcome upon my return. I feel the next couple of months will be about fine tuning. The drop off's. The pick up's. The hours in the day and making the most of them, in order to feel like I am contributing the best of myself to my role. All I can do is try.

It was my beautiful Mama's birthday yesterday and of course, I didn't get to see her, due to being at work. So today, the boys and I spent quality time with her at home, playing, singing and feeding the tamest of tame birds. My parents have a plethora of birdlife in their garden and they know when they visit, they always receive the good stuff. Magpies, lorikeets, kookaburras, butcher birds, crested doves, the list goes on. Feeding them, provided some much needed moments of calm with the boys. It could be a coincidence, but I have a feeling the two days of care have caught up with us all. I'm looking forward to the downtime with my boys, until work next week.


  1. Well done - you've survived the hardest part.
    Onwards and upwards.
    So glad day 2 was much better all round.
    Rest up until next week's whirlwind.
    (It really does make those non workdays all the more valuable, doesn't it?)

  2. Its always tough in the beginning. It will get better after everyone gets used to the routine.

    Enjoy the weekend!!

  3. Sounds like a full on couple of days.
    But kind of exciting to get that part of you back though I think?? You know the part of you that is your own person, with a lunch break, and being able to wee all on your own. That sounds wonderful to me.
    Hope you are enjoying your non working days too x

  4. Well done! I think you did really well.

    Hopefully you'll be feeling better next week and everyone will be more confident. xx

  5. I hope each and every day it that little bit easier.

    It is hard leaving our little ones at home. I know I still find it tough but boy do I love the mental stimulation of work.

    It does get easier with time :)

  6. Oh i feel for you, sounds like a tough couple of days. no doubt it will get easier with time. enjoy the weekend and quiet time with your boys. feel better. xx

  7. So happy for you that work went well! Leaving your little people will get 'easier' the more you do it! Hope your cold improves too!

    Have a lovely week. :-)

  8. Congratulations! That is a huge step I have not taken yet and it takes a lot of bravery, energy, balance and calm. I wish you well and send you strength and courage. xo m.


Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)