Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cold as ice

I feel it in my fingers first. Quickly creeping to my hands and wrists. Next, it infiltrates my toes and feet. The coldSO invasive. I don't do the cold particularly well. I have never been to the snow and unless I were to stay the duration in a warm, toasty cabin/pub, I'll be happy to keep it that way. I could never live in a really cold climate. I fear I would just stop functioning. Today was the first day that I truly felt the cold, in a long time.


I'm sure I didn't feel the full effect of Winter last year. 9 months pregnant, followed by 6 months of breastfeeding, whilst tending to a newborn can do that to you. I actually felt comfortably cosy last Winter. This year is going to be a challenge. I have often thought how wonderful it would be to just head north for the Winter, like a whale migrates to warmer waters. Not sure how far north I would go. Just somewhere... warmer.


I rugged the boys up this morning and braved the chill, to go for a little play at the park. Angus insisted on taking his scooter. He tinkered with it for all of 5 minutes, before declaring that I was to carry it for him, while he played on the 'toys' in the playground. He is good at that. Delegation. The park did look lovely though, in a bleak, frosty kind of way. And the boys had fun, which was well worth the pain of freezing my extremities off.


11 comments:

  1. I hear you Julie. Really feeling the cold at the moment! Looks like a lovely morning at the park, its so good just to get them out of the house for a run isnt it?!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bbbbrrrr.
    Bring back Summer, I say!
    If I could, I would follow the sunshine all year long!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel! Thankfully here in Ireland we are coming out of a long long freezing winter (the coldest in 40 years apparently) and summer if beginning to heat me up (not that you'd notice what with the storms and cold western winds). I dream of a life where the sun never fades.... wrap up warm - the sun will be back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so cold here in NZ too! I'm dreaming of margaritas somewhere totally tropical!!! I envy you being 9 months preg in winter - I was 9 months preg in FEBRUARY with my second - it was a NIGHTMARE - I was like a fat, hot, sweaty, pink pig! Never again! My first should have been an end of May babe, but she was born 2 months early so was also warm. Looks like a lovely park though - and don't the kids just love being rugged up warm (it's like a novelty!) and tackling the outdoors. Mine don't feel the cold at all - I'm sure they'd be happy running around in swimwear while I'm in thermals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it any consolation that I am sitting in front of the computer WITH ALL MY EXTREMITIES FREEZING OFF?! Suddenly coming over clucky remembering the hot water bottle effect of a small babe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's so icy here too - i'm sitting at my desk working with a hot water bottle on my lap (and one in my belly)! And lots of blankets - I probably resemble a homeless woman. Warmth over style today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job on bundling your kids. Some parents don't do that. I used to get carried away with that. If you have ever seen "A Christmas Story", it is basically what I did to my kids. haha
    Kids still get a laugh about that to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brrrrrr I feel cold just reading your description! Glad you got outdoors. i don't think I could have....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh..I'm feeling the cold today..brrr! My fingers have gone from pink to white and now are almost purple..lol. So cold!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live in Qld and I'm freezing.
    We had one of the coldest winter days on record here today. It was horrible.
    Stay warm x

    ReplyDelete
  11. that's very brave of you to go and do that! my goodness I couldn't move past the fireplace, stayed in the car for school pick up! it's been an icy week and I really need to get moving with my knitting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)