Thursday, June 9, 2011

All the lovers

She was my first real crush. The year was 1987. All of 9 years old and I was in love, with a pint sized, fresh faced, pretty blonde. Bursting on to the scene with a memorable (alright cringe worthy) rendition of the 1962 classic The Locomotion. I had to have every LP copy this song was recorded on. Not just the single, or the album, but all the compilation records too. I commissioned my Mama to sew a red ruffle skirt for me, of which I wore to almost EVERY party I was invited to that year... it was quite the craze.

My Dad and brothers teased me incessantly. Said she wouldn't last. Would never make it. That she was manufactured and had no real talent. They relished in getting a reaction from me at any opportunity. And on this one, they got the reaction they were after. Kylie Minogue seems to have been a part of my journey from that point on. I watched as she rose to fame. Became a pop princess. And a household name. Her songs make me buzz. They are happy. Free spirited. They inspire me. to. DANCE. There is a beauty to Kylie that can't be described. She radiates warmth and energy from just being. Through all the turmoil life has thrown at her, she has always rised above it and kept it real. A true blue Aussie gal.

Last night was epic. To say the least. Kylie's Aphrodite masterpiece delivered a non-stop, groove-inducing, tush-shaking blend of classic and modern hits. Teamed beautifully with a visual delight of dancers, costumes and stage props. Quite possibly the most awesome encore I've ever seen (and I have seen the likes of U2, Foofighters, Rolling Stones, Elton John, Powderfinger, Silverchair). Utterly captivating. My girlfriends and I were literally beaming afterwards. Something that can make you feel that good, is worth the price of admission... and then some. Such a long way from the girl next door on Ramsay Street. And I still adore her. 








5 comments:

  1. Looks amazing .... I love a good concert. Hope your still smiling and that you can still hear her voice singing in your head!! FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks spectacular! Sounds like a very memorable night!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes I was one of those girls that danced around the living room in fluro Lycra to Locomotion as well. I adored her and still do. I was desperate to see her when she was in Brisbane but I didn't really have anyone to go with.
    I saw her in concert back in 2001 I think it was and I remember it being amazing. She's a true entertainer that's for sure.
    Glad you had such a good night xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds amazing! Glad you had such a wonderful time! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are luuucky, lucky, lucky to have been there. What fun! gxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)