Saturday, November 26, 2011

This fragile life

This evening, while we were tucking into our Saturday night pizza, there was an almighty crash outside our front door. We have no front yard, the door opens onto a narrow footpath, then the road. We could see outlines of people through the frosted glass of the door. We could hear the commotion. I opened the door to find a young girl slumped in the gutter, right outside. Blood dripping from her chin and a number of different cuts and grazes all over her body. A push bike lay mangled next to her. A young boy, standing next to her, looking wide-eyed, pale and a tad frightened. Within moments, my neighbour was also by my side, as were a congregation of other neighbours and onlookers.

I find situations like that surreal. Everyone bumbling around, confused, concerned, unsure of what to do next. We established she'd lost control of the bike at the top of the hill and careered into our security door. In tears and shaking, her only apparent worry... that her mother did not know she had ventured so far from home. A tale as old as the hills... I think we've all been there at one time or another. So my queasy stomach took a beating, as my neighbour and I helped her off the street, cleaned up the wounds and waited for her Mum to arrive. There were so many cuts and way too much blood for my liking. Angus was also strangely fascinated, asking dozens of questions about the "girl who fell off her bike". I'm sure she'll be sore and sorry, but so lucky it wasn't alot worse. 

I've been in a rather reflective haze today anyway. Beautiful sweet Kayla passed away on Thursday and since my sister-in-law broke the news to me yesterday, I have battled to think of anything else. Particularly if my hands are not busy and my mind is alone to ponder. So many emotions rising to the fore. Anger, at why this cruel world allows such things to happen. Guilt, at my overwhelming thankfulness for my two healthy boys. Sorrow, so deep and raw, it hurts. Children are made up of all things innocent and good and hopeful, they make life worth living. As long as I live, I know I will never understand why they are sometimes taken so soon. Precious little Kayla will at least suffer no more. I like to imagine she is free now, at peace and in the arms of the angels.

13 comments:

  1. Oh Julie.
    I'm so sorry to hear your 'news'.
    The very worst kind.
    It's beyond difficult to make sense of young lives taken so, so early.

    I know that your patient's mother won't care for one second how far her girl had ventured on that bike- just that she is okay.
    We all just want our babies to be okay.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((hugs)) you write so beautifully always but this is just so touching. Sometimes life just makes you shake your head in sad wonderment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Julie. You must be in dire need of lots of hugs at the moment. I am so sorry for Kayla and all her family and friends. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right. Life is so fragile and most times we forget that...until is crashes upon you...literally in your case.
    And it shakes you to the core.
    To lose a child would be too much to bear.
    Beautiful post, Julie. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie your pain comes through loud and clear in your words..you write so beautifully. I am so sorry to hear of Kayla's passing.

    I had a similar experience on my bike in the days before helmets...I pedalled as fast as I could from the top of a hill not realising that my brakes had given out and with a busy main road at the bottom. The speed wobbles got me first though thankfully and I did require stitches..but it could have been a lot worse.

    Thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do hope the little girl on the bike is going to be ok... I was so sorry to read about your friends little girl. It was so strange for me to read that post from your point of view as I was in almost the very same position with a friend of mine; we shared each detail of our pregnancy and the birth only weeks apart.. Only it was my son who was the sick one! He lived until he was three and a bit. Its just so amazing for me to see things from "the outside" if that makes sense. I could hear the pain in your words and I suppose that i forget that others were affected by Sam s passing ... I guess I perhaps didnt give some of my friends that consideration. Not a lot anyway... I know now that my same friend feels so much guilt when she tells me of her sons achievements, milestones etc. She doesnt tell me, but I sense it.. You are a dear friend to be thinking of your friends daughter so. We dont know why these things happen, but, we have to learn to live without them as difficult as it is. And at times feels impossible. Oh dear, i have rambled too much!! I am however motivated to be making a facebook page for Sam. I have been thinking about it lately actually!
    Hugs to you,
    laura xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sure she is 'safe in the arms of angels'. It probably really doesn't seem like a comfort now to all of you who are painfully missing her and thinking of a life cut short, robbed by this awful disease, but I am sure this life has not been lived in vain. Every smile, giggle and touch will bring back lovely memories and remind you of her contribution to this world, of love and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Julie, you darling girl. So much to contend with at the same time. And so little sense to it. Sending you a huge ♥ tonight. J x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Julie. So sorry to hear your sad news. Life can seem to so surreal and confusing sometimes. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sigh. I have no words, Julie. Such sadness. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thinking of you at such a sad time.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Julie, i am so sad to read this, I am thinking of you and sending lots of hugs and love. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)