Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pink Babycakes for Breast Cancer

If there's a cause I am sincerely passionate about, it is cancer research. Every form of cancer, every type of event, every single charity established to raise funds and awareness. I'll raise my hand to support and encourage, in whatever way I possibly can. Because this cruel and wicked beast touches far too many of us, in numerous ways and varying degrees. For me, it is more than fighting an evil presence, it is about realisation of my blessings. For every minute spent getting involved or each dollar out of my pocket, I am acknowledging my own good fortune. Giving thanks for my health, in the here and now. Who knows what the future has in store, but at this very moment, I am lucky. And I want to share that luck, in what is honestly the simplest of ways.

On Saturday, I attended a pink ribbon breakfast/girl's morning in fundraiser. Hosted by a friend who's own Mama is continuing her battle against breast cancer. A more uplifting morning, I could not have wished for. This friend has a beautiful way about her. Strong, clever and so inspirational to me. On Friday I was at work and upon my travels in IGA, on my lunch break, I stumbled across a mud cake with bright pink icing. It was a McGrath Foundation specific cake... though only 40 cents of the sale was to be passed onto the foundation itself. I picked it up, wandered around the store, pondered whether to buy it or not. It was definitely an easy option... but it's not always about the easy option. So I took my lazy hat off and booted myself into action on Friday evening. Baking a batch of butter babycakes to take along to the fundraiser instead. With an ever-so-subtle pale pink icing for effect. It's the least I could do. 

Babycakes

125g butter, softened, chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup (150g) caster sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups (225g) self-raising flour
1/4 cup (60ml) milk

Preheat oven to 180/ 160 degrees for fan forced. Line mini muffin pans with paper cases
Combine butter, extract, sugar, eggs, sifted flour and milk in small bowl of electric mixer; beat on low speed until ingredients are just combined
Increase speed to medium; beat about 3 mins or until mixture is smooth and changed to a paler colour
Divide mixture among cases; bake about 20 mins
Turn cakes, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool
Meanwhile, make vanilla butter cream

Butter Cream

125g butter, softened, chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (240g) icing sugar
2 tablespoons milk

Beat butter and extract in small bowl with electric mixer until as white as possible
Gradually beat in half the sifted icing sugar, milk, then remaining icing sugar
Add a drop or two of pink food colouring for pale pink icing



13 comments:

  1. They look gorgeous, delicious and just the right amount of pink! gxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Julie, you have such a huge heart. They look scrumptious, too! J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bet they taste as sweet as they look.
    For a magnificent and oh-so-necessary cause.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cupcakes look great Julie! such a great cause. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, your writing is always so inspirational. What a wonderful way to spend a Saturday morning. And your gorgeous little cupcakes looks so delish! And may I say, I'm shocked that only 40cents went to the foundations. I'm sure your friend's girls morning in raised more than 40cents for a great cause. Well done girls! Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. a great cause Julie and delicious looking very pretty cupcakes! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is also something very close to my heart having lost a few family members to the dreaded C and an Aunty currently battling breast cancer.
    Thank goodness for charities out there who enable us to support in any way we can.
    These cupcakes look seriously delicious Julie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fantastic cause - very close to my own heart.

    The cupcakes look fabulous xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well worth while in making your dollars increase for a good cause rather than mainly lining the supermarket and producers pockets. I applaud your efforts and great results!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Precious you are an angel, I feel the same having recently lost my beautiful sister from cancer I do all I can to raise money and donate my time to fundraise for this worthwhile charity. Thank you for supporting in such a lovely way with your friend and every other person who this has and still does affect. Those cupcakes look delicious made from the heart will make them taste all the sweeter my friend. I hope you have a wonderful day

    Always Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bless your cotton socks Julie. The cup cakes look too good to eat xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)