Friday, November 11, 2011

End of an Era

In April 1999, I had two choices. To accept a job offer with Westpac bank or a job offer with an investments management company. I weighed up the options, pro's, con's and the rest. I chose the latter. At 20 years of age, I didn't know a great deal about anything finance related. But I had a good feeling about the job I was choosing. If someone had told me 12 and a half years ago, that I would see the things I've seen, do the things I've done or meet the people I've met, I would barely believe them. Because that's what big decisions do. Change your life.

Today, I walked through the big glass doors and into the afternoon sun, for the last time. No longer an employee. No longer employed. What a surreal and slightly liberating feeling. The opportunities I have received, the experiences I have embraced, the friends I have made. I owe it ALL to the chance I took on that investments management company, so many moons ago. And although I wasn't especially sad to leave, I did feel an incredible sense of nostalgia for everything it has been to me. The long hours and subsequent stress over the years, fade to insignificance now. Only the good times and wonderful people are remembered. And there were many.

From this point on, I'm elated by the fact that I am officially a full time stay at home Mama. I am so very fortunate to be able to choose this path for myself and my family. I have of course, painstakingly reviewed and considered my options yet again, much like that wide eyed 20 year old all those years ago. It is quite the dream come true to be able to focus my full attention on the boys and also to take a step back from the only world I've known for most of my adult life. Looking forward to future pursuits and where they may lead, is also an exciting prospect. As one door closes and marks the end of an era.

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations - on your 20 years of commitment and hard work - and on your commitment and dedication in your other super significant role of Mama.
    Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah..here's to new beginnings, journeys yet taken and days spent delighting in your boys :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you seem so content and happy about the outcomes. yay on being able to say home with the boys for a bit. I'm sure they will be delighted. Look forward to seeing what happens for you next. Lucky me ~ bound to be lots more beautiful photos on your blog now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, enjoy this exciting time! LIfe is full of wonderful twists and turns isn't it? xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - congratulations on all counts. It's wonderful that you can see the good in the life behind you and be thrilled with your future. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Julie. I am so proud of you, my friend. How you still manage to view this huge upheaval through a positive lens is a credit to you. Welcome to my world as a full-time SAHM! J x

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful, heartfelt post. (The best kind) Wishing you all the best in your new venture. I suspect it will be incredibly rewarding xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY another SAHM joins the ranks....you will soooo lov it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations - it's the start of a new chapter in the book of life!
    x
    Melissah from Coastal Style

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just wrote an essay here, but just lost it (doh!)

    I love your attitude and am slightly jealous at your opportunity as a Full time SAHM!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay fof new beginnings! Have with your lovely boys ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Julie! Yay! you must be so excited and relieved, what a big decision you have made, i am sure it is the right one. I can't wait to hear more of your days with the boys. Here's to new beginnings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations Jules. I am ever so envious. I am so looking forward to reading all your adventures :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)