Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Little Adventurers

Sometimes I wonder just when I became SO soft. The air-con in our car was on the blink for all of 5 days. Despite enjoying the sensation of wind in our hair, stereo blaring, singing loudly... exhaust fumes and noise pollution through the open windows was not so enjoyable. It's rather convenient that the car was due for a service anyway, because it made me feel a little better when including an air-con repair on the 'to do' list. Having the car at the mechanics is not one of my favourite things. Aside from the inevitable costly expenditure it entails, it leaves me stranded without a car and two little big men to cart around. It makes me nervous, as part of the benefit of the car is having a quick getaway if the boys turn on me while we're out and about.

Angus is big on adventures at the moment. He often talks about us going on adventures as a family. The six or so hours we needed to occupy while waiting for the car, presented the perfect opportunity for an adventure. My decision to keep it outdoors and active worked a treat, as the cloudy skies cleared and burst forth with toasty sunshine for the duration of our travels. We boarded a bus to the city, a ferry to Manly and stepped back in time with a walk down the Corso to Manly Beach. It has been years since I visited Manly. And I was reminded of exactly why I loved it so much as a teen and young twenty something. 

The boys delighted in the change of coastal scenery. Angus mesmerised by the funny little popping fountains all about the place. My best efforts to keep him out of them were to no avail, as before too long, sandals were off and feet were splishing and splashing in all their bare glory. A lovely little park discovery, chippies in the sun, a dreamy midday siesta for Felix and an eye-poppingly tasty Copenhagen vanilla icecream with sprinkles for Angus, bulked up our adventure nicely. Then, an exhausted Mama and two boys were homeward bound. On the Manly ferry, cutting it's way to Circular Quay. And I seriously, could not. stop. singing that Australian Crawl classic and 80's favourite of mine, for the rest of the afternoon. 






















14 comments:

  1. Glorious pics!
    I dread being without our car too.
    Servicing is planned with military precision!!
    I feel so pathetic about that - but it's our reality.
    I have been known to shudder each time I see a local Mum at the bus stop wrangling a double stroller and three little ones.
    We're by no means wealthy but public transport is a novelty for us - not a necessity.
    How snobby does that sound???!!!
    Anyway, your day looks gorgeous - like those little men of yours.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some postcard perfect shots there! Just beautiful. And such a cute little man too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girls are BIG on adventures too. I also hate the car going to the mechanics, I hate even more that phone call you get an hour or so after you drop off the car to be told 'they've found something' that needs fixing and more $$$.

    It looks like you had a wonderful day! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely adventure! Sure beats sitting around the mechanic's waiting room. As always, lovely photos Julie. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful photos! love sydney harbour and manly...i spent a lot of time there when i was young with my nan. she had friends who lived by the water. i used to love going with her and sip cups of tea. how cute are your kids!! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow so much better than just sitting around waiting for the car! We are getting soft arent we? When I was a kid (did I just say that?) we had no aircon... and it was WA 40+ most summer days, imagine even the thought of that with no aircon these days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love those shots - sounds like loads of fun. And you're not the only one who's soft - there's no way I'd last five days without air-con - I'm a wuss... x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie, I loved reading this - my mum doesn't drive so as children we were constantly taken on 'adventures'. To this day, I still get a bit of a thrill hoping on a bus, train, ferry and walking around taking it all in.

    Your boys eyes are just sparkling with happiness - nothing like a good adventure to make a little boy happy.

    Love your photos too - I think I might be your number one photo fan! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, now that is what I can an adventure! Though I imagine it would have been a rather big day for your little men too.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Missing Sydney right about now! What a delicious day... gxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. your photos are nice. the kids are funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW....these photos are just magic.
    What an awesome adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a gorgeous day out - with amazing scenery to boot!
    x
    Melissah from Coastal Style

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful day you have all had, love the photos Sydney is such an awesome place to visit.

    Have a great week my friend.

    Always Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)