Thursday, November 17, 2011

Mr Attitude

Some days, I feel that Angus is (almost) four going on almost fourteen. I appreciate there is a great deal going on in his beautifully enquiring mind at this age. Not to mention discovering a greater awareness of his own physicality. Understanding how it all goes together must be challenging for him. I try to be empathetic and patient and 'pick my battles' as it were. However, of late I am finding it increasingly difficult to bite my tongue. And I definitely don't enjoy being this way. At all. It's tiring and stressful and a bit soul destroying. Because I love this little man more than words can say.

There are times when I'm blown away by the firm grasp he has of the world around him and other times, I'm staggered at how irrational his behaviour can be. He can turn on a dime. Stubborn, bossy and excruciatingly self righteous. He grumbles and complains, always in a whiny, drawn out, high pitched, nasal tone. A regular Mr Attitude, about everything and with everyone. 

BUT, when Mr Attitude takes time out from such high intensity behaviour, I'm left with a kind, warm, caring, inquisitive, gentle, witty, polite and loving form of an (almost) four year old. THE best one I could wish for. And I guess at the end of the day, this phase he is going through is a learning curve for all of us. We'll get there yet. 


9 comments:

  1. I can't even imagine! :)

    He is ADORABLE! but then, I'm not there picking battles, haha!

    You're one amazing mama Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, Julie.
    Jekyll and Hyde reside here too.
    The swings are unbelievable.

    But the highs are so, so high.
    What gorgeous pics of your little threenager.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I remember that period. I actually think the age around 4-5 is more testing than the 'terrible twos'. You're doing a great job. We both know kids need discipline and even at the times we feel like an eternal ogre the little ones are learning boundaries and continuously testing them!

    He is so adorable. And I love his name, the same name as my nephew. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Julie. I feel your pain. I had a terrible time with Madison from 3 1/2 to 4 1/2. I like to call them the F$&@*ing Fours. Never mind the terrible twos, the fours are just awful!

    I blame it all on the testosterone that is surging through their little bodies at this age. Sometimes I don't think they know what to do with it! (It's as much as a 14 year old boy in that tiny body!)

    Thank goodness for the book "Raising Boys". It made so much sense.

    Hang in there. Your beautiful boy will return soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. J, you are doing an amazing job!
    Angus got an extra boost of testosterone when he turned 4 which wouldn't be helping!
    Just think, once he hits the teenage years he'll probably stop talking altogether and you'll be wanting these years back!
    Keep up the fantastic job you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Julie. I *get* this post on so many levels. Know you're not alone. I can sometimes have all 3 pixies having tantrums at the same time, just as we're about to race off to school in the morning. Motherhood is hard work. But we will get through it! Taking the long view is so hard, though, when you're in the trenches! J x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too emphasis with you I am the very proud grandmother of The Special One and sometimes she asks so many questions and talks so much even I (who can get a break) find myself going Oh dear breathe! and she has some amazing MELTDOWNS! as her beautiful mummy calls them. It is a job worth doing this Mothering thing but there are times you question WHY?. But know we know exactly what you are talking about. Hope that helps. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Kymmie, "Raising Boys" should be your Bible!
    I struggle a bit with my littlest here. In Scotland they start at Playgroup (Pre-school) at 2 yrs 10 months (all paid for,) 5 mornings a week so they have continuity and see the same people every day. My big ones all had wee buddies by this stage. We would then arrange playdates for the afternoons so they were occupied, stimulated, having fun rather than being stuck with me again. They are definitely ready for MORE.
    Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll swap you a four year old boy for a sixteen year old step-daughter any day...but I promise you there is light at the end of the tunnel and they all go in & out of phases. We are riding on a very long 'good' phase & I'm loving it! The bad times makes me appreciate the good times ... before I took them for granted!
    x
    Melissah from Coastal Style

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)