Sunday, August 7, 2011

White chocolate, macadamia and raspberry blondie

Going out at night takes considerable effort on my part these days. There is a great deal of planning leading up to the date. Carefully executed organisation on the actual day. Then overcoming the underlying feeling of it all being too hard in the few hours leading up to my departure from home. Nine times out of ten I could almost talk myself out of going at all. But, I manage to dig deep and find a burst of enthusiasm right when I need it. And I'm always glad that I do. It is important for all of us that Mama gets out of the house on occasions. Even if just for a casual girl's night in.

Last night a few of us got together for a home made pizza and wine evening. We gathered in the kitchen designing our own individual pizza's, amongst a buzz of chit chat and laughter. Then sat on the floor of my friend's cosy lounge room, sipping on wine and continued our chatter for the entire night. A delicious dinner, fine wine and great company. I decided to take a sweet along for dessert and wanted to try something new and a touch indulgent. I've been eyeing this recipe off for a while now, I snipped it out of a Women's Weekly magazine, as I tend to do with tasty looking recipes. But it's so incredibly rich and decadent, I didn't want to bake a batch that would only be devoured by Scott and I. I dread to think of the calorie content of this sugary baby. Though it was a complete hit and because it has raspberries dotted throughout, it can't really be that bad.

White chocolate, macadamia and raspberry blondie

185g Butter, chopped
450g white eating chocolate, chopped (I used Cadbury Dream)
1 1/4 cups (275g) caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten lightly
1 cup (150g) plain flour
1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
3/4 cup (115g) unsalted macadamia nuts, toasted, chopped coarsely
150g fresh or frozen raspberries
sifted icing sugar, for serving

Combine butter and two thirds of the chocolate in a large saucepan; stir over very low heat until smooth
Cool for 10 mins
Preheat oven to 180 degrees (160 degrees for fan-forced)
Grease 20cm x 30cm slice pan; line base with baking paper, extending paper 2cm over sides
Stir sugar and eggs into butter mixture, then sifted flours, remaining chocolate and macadamias
Gently fold in raspberries
Spread mixture into prepared pan
Bake for about 40 mins 
(this threw me a little, as mine was still a bit runny after 40 mins, so I whacked it back in for a further 12 mins and it cooked through)
Cool in pan
Just before serving, dust blondies with sifted icing sugar


Not the prettiest sweet treat by far, but the flavours are scrumptious!

18 comments:

  1. Mmmm, this looks delish!

    Agree with getting out the house. Sometimes it takes soooo much effort just to step out the front door. It sounds like you had a lovely evening...that is my idea of a wonderful night these days.

    xoxox

    Kellie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they look delish! will definitely be making these, thank you! glad you had a good night out! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummm!
    It's (nearly) always worth the effort, isn't it?
    But I couldn't hack the pace of a full on social life these days.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie..it's great to leave real life behind for a night out occasionally and just relax and enjoy adult conversation and support from friends when you have littlies. You can be proud of your efforts with the blondie too..if I wasn't off sugar at the moment I'd love to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that's me! Come 5pm and I'd gladly swap a night out with the Queen for my jim jams and knitting and Friday Night Crime. But you're so right about that need to dig deep and breathe through the pain...

    There's no way a dessert like that is bad for you. I am not kidding myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH YUM! That looks incredible! Was it easy enough to make? Macadamia nuts are so delicious but are something we don't often use - my Nana is deathly allergic to them so I'm always scared my kids might be too. Probably nothing to worry about, as I'm not! I totally know what you mean about having to dig deep to go out etc - I quite often feel like I need more of a 'life' but in reality I'm SO INTO sitting at home in PJs watching some good tele/reading a book etc - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful night and that blondie sounds delish! You definately wouldn't want that around the house for too long! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie, that looks so yummy!!! I want some right now! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did the right thing taking that out of the house Julie. I imagine it would be very, very hard to stop at one piece. Will file that recipe, thank you! gxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I totally agree! Very yummy looking! And I bet there is none left for me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM!!!! It looks absolutely delish!
    And it is wonderful getting out...I need to do it more often! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eeeeek oh my goodness they look so delicious!

    I wonder if I could adapt for gluten free?

    ReplyDelete
  14. anything with raspberries has to be good for you!
    just wanted to say, your pics are looking wonderful Julie, love the size of them on the blog aswell.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so going to bake this recipe, it looks delicious and devine!
    Completely understand the getting out of the house thing, when did it all seem to get so hard at times?
    I am out for dinner with some girlfriends tomorrow night, so looking forward to the ME time, but dreading all the organisation which comes prior. So glad I am not the only one that feels this way.
    A mum has to do, what a mum has to do!
    Thanks again for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum, yum, yum! Thanks for sharing : ) And a casual girls night in sounds like a perfect way to unwind and share a laugh and a story or 2!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank you so much for the recipe, just what I was looking for quickly googled and yours popped up made a last minute batch for my husdands birthday for night shift :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)