Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Box

Last Thursday, when my Mama and I ordered a fancy flat screen television from Myer, I had no idea taking possession of it would be such an ordeal. Being her thoughtful self, Mama has been insisting for months that we must have a new television. One that she was intent on buying us. She did have a point about our old tele being small and a little fuzzy and bulky. However, I did not expect for her to purchase us a new one. But this is my Mama, generous to a fault.

I chose one from the vast array available and we went about paying for the tele itself, as well as delivery. I was informed the delivery centre would call first thing Friday morning with a window time for actual delivery. I know how these 'windows' work. Anywhere between 8am-1pm or 1pm-6pm. I don't like the window. I never feel comfortable within the window. I can't get on and do my thing knowing I need to stay close to home and keep an ear/eye out for a delivery truck. It's exhausting. 

The window ended up being between 1-6pm. I had to juggle preschool pickup in that time and hoped they didn't decide to arrive in that 30 minute part of the window when I wasn't home. Thankfully, that didn't happen. Just as the truck pulled away, Angus and I inspecting the mega sized box in the middle of our lounge room, I noticed the brand name splashed across the box. It wasn't the one we had ordered the day before. I. couldn't. believe. it. I jumped straight on the phone with the delivery centre to arrange for them to get in contact with the driver. It had only been 10 minutes since they left. 

From this point, everything turned pear shaped. Despite best efforts from the lady at the delivery centre, she was unable to get the truck to turn around to come and collect the gigantic Tv plonked in my lounge room. The wrong Tv. A Tv we couldn't use. A Tv we had nowhere to store in our tiny place. I was less than impressed. On top of standard dinnertime rush hour at our place, I was juggling phone calls back and forth to Myer customer service and the delivery centre and the manager of the electrical department at Myer city store. Everyone was happy to chat, but no one seemed to have a solution. It was a mess.

So on Saturday, I had another window. To wait for the Tv we didn't order to be collected. My Tv, apparently could not be delivered until Monday. Then after 3 days of waiting, as the debacle of the missing Tv played out over numerous phone conversations... we finally received our brand new television (at the tail end of yet another delivery window I might add)

I couldn't have been more chuffed with myself... (much like my friend The Cat In The Hat pictured on our snazzy new tele). Ignoring instructions to only assemble with 2 or more adults, I put that baby together with my own two hands and set it up with Foxtel fully functioning to boot! My little boys were most fascinated with the action (and the cardboard box) and Scott was very pleased with the latest addition when he came home from work. All's well that ends well.


  1. We have only ever found TVs by the side of a road. It's our rule! I think mostly because I can't stand that delivery window palaver either. Happy viewing!

  2. Julie this sort of thing happens to me all the time. I loathe waiting for deliveries and always embark on assembling flat-packed furniture or the like on my own, more often than not ending with me and the allen key in fisticuffs! gxo


Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)