Last week, I made a rather disturbing discovery in my wardrobe. Dreaded mould. On my (faux) leather jacket no less. It would appear that a particularly wet Summer and a small, quite poorly ventilated terrace is not the best combination. And my jacket happened to be the first victim. Days later I read an article on the front page of our local newspaper, warning of the damaging effects that dampness is taking on homes in Sydney, following the big wet. One lady managed to extract eight litres of water from her apartment, in one night. That same day I went out and purchased a dehumidifier. Reading the facts about the impact of mould on the respiratory system and even being the cause of depression, was enough ammunition for me.
Thankfully, the twelve litre tank did not fill to the brim, with excess moisture from our house. But it did fill almost half of it. Which is kinda scary when I think about it. I realise it's impossible to rid the house of mould permanently using a dehumidifier, though it is refreshing to know we are living and breathing in clean air now. And two cheeky monkey's were most impressed with the packaging... seeing as it fit both of them inside just nicely. Hours of fun in that big cardboard box.