Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Banana, Honey & Cinnamon Muffins

Food wastage does not sit well with me. I always make a point of building the boy's meals, rather than serving up a huge plate of food that won't be eaten. There is no harm in second or third helpings, if they're hungry. And I find this way, we have very little thrown away. Bananas are tricky ones though. One day they're looking a little green... the next day they're splotchy brown and yellow, ready to be eaten on the spot. There were two large bananas in the fruit bowl, that certainly wouldn't have seen the day out, so this afternoon I googled banana recipes and found this pure delight.

Scott has been in Melbourne this week and when he's out of town, it's nice to have a freshly baked treat for him to enjoy on his return home. And this one is divine. The aroma that fills the house while the muffins are baking is enough for me. I seriously wish I could bottle it... or make this post scratch 'n' sniff somehow. Definitely a recipe for the ever-expanding favourites pile.   

Banana, Honey & Cinnamon Muffins

2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
75g butter, melted
1/2 cup (125ml) milk
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup mashed banana (about 2 bananas)

Preheat oven to 180 (160 degrees fan-forced)
Line 12 cup muffin tin with paper cases
Sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon & salt
into a large bowl
Stir in sugar
Combine melted butter, milk, honey, vanilla, eggs & mashed banana
in a large jug or saucepan
Whisk until well combined
Make a well in the centre of dry ingredients
Add egg mixture, stir until just combined
Spoon mixture into muffin tin
Bake for 20 mins or until cooked through
Cool in pans for 5 mins 
Turn onto a wire rack to cool



3 comments:

  1. everything you cook always looks so delicious! And I really love the jumper your mum knitted, I wish i was as talented and able to knit wearable things!!! All i can do is straight squares! hope you are having a wonderful week!
    laura x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look lovely Julie...I too hate the food waste too and have a couple of bananas on the turn ...will try this recipe tomz. Love the new look of your blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bananas never last very long in our house and I get so excited when I happen upon a brown one in the fruit bowl, as I love bananas in cooking. I'm sure Scotty will love them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)