Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mama

For the first time, this year, I experienced a genuine Mother's Day moment. Angus carefully and purposefully snuck a small parcel home from preschool last Tuesday. Covered in hand-painted wrapping paper, he informed me that it was to give to Daddy and I wasn't to touch it. I'm sure glad I didn't leave it up to either of them to actually remember it this morning, as they both completely forgot. But I didn't. I kind of hoped it would be something special. Something handmade. Something that I'd be able to treasure forever and a day. And it is. A framed drawing of me. I love it.

There were no excuses when it came to training this morning. I was out and amongst it by seven thirty, in blustery cold conditions. But it felt good. After spending time with my Mama on Friday, today we lunched with Scott's family. A nice afternoon was spent chatting, eating and drinking. All four cousins were beautifully behaved and had a ball playing together.

Four years in and I'm still not quite sure how I feel about being a Mama on Mother's Day. For so long it has always been about appreciating my own Mama, or in years gone by, my Nana. And for many years now, Scott's Mum. To me, it is just like any other day and I'm cool with that. I don't expect to be spoilt and certainly could not ask for anything more than my adoring boys to be around me, doing what they do. Just looking at their precious little faces is all the reward I need. I feel sincerely privileged to be their Mama.






17 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh ... you are beautiful!

    This was so sweet, everything about it :)

    The true essence of motherhood, & of celebrating motherhood.

    And that last photo? Look at all that LOVE!

    Happy Mama's day to you J!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gorgeous mumma, you so deserve a beautiful mothers Day so I am thrilled that you have had one. I adore this post and that photo of you and Angus is one to treasure forever. Happy Mothers Day beautiful girl xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just love love love those gifts. This year my kindergarten one was the hand prints with that poem again. But it still made me cry. (Such a softie!!) I think as the kids get older mother's day becomes more. This year I was awesome for here. I did NOTHING all day. The girls had my chair ready, made breaky and lunch (daddy did tea) and even left the house in pretty good shape. And I got a bucket load of handmade goodness. I also organised for Daddy to take all three to the nursery to select a flower for my garden beds I'm planting out. Memories that will last for us all. Happy day after mothers day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so lovely, an artwork to treasure! Gorgeous shot of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you still trained? My hat goes off to you. I had a mild sleep-in which I really appreciated.

    That framed drawing is devine.

    I love that last photo too. So beautiful.

    Sounds like you had a brilliant day, much deserved too.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous.
    Your framed pic is precious - you've never looked better!!
    That last pic is pretty frame-able too, though.

    I'm with you - a day of simple pleasures and family time is being spoilt to me - any day of the year.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it J, what Mothers Day is all about.
    Sending you lots of love xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. The likeness is uncanny! Clearly you had your hair pulled back in a pony that day too!
    Divine xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Jules! Clever Angus. How utterly precious. It does take a bit of getting used to, I agree. But it's getting better and better each year for me. Seeing the pixies at work together yesterday was so moving. I'm so glad you relished your day, Sweets. J x

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's gorgeous Julie! Hand made pressies are the best. My eldest son (now 22) made a gift for me when he was in pre-school. It has his photo and little hand print, and it hangs in a frame on the wall in my hallway 18 years later! It is one of my special treasures. No doubt you will treasure this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That photo melts my heart J, you both look so angelic in your white gear :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love love love handmade gifts snuck home from Kinder - I had a similar experience here! Just you wait till he hits the Mother's Day stall at school! My boys went with the concept of quantity rather than quility and presented me with several Avonny type smelly numbers!!!!

    And how committed are you - training on Mothers Day! Love the scenery!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is so true isn't it, just like any other day but because it is official we should be spoilt? I dont mind though I will grab it and run.x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous. Aren't handmade gifts the best!? I love the last photo, happy mothers day Jules. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't their little handmade gifts make your heart swell to almost bursting? I have received many little keepsakes over the years that I absolutely treasure.
    I think Mother's Day is more for children than for mums...to me it's just like any other day but our children love to go that extra mile.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous pics - and what a present! They're the best kind. Glad to see you looking so happy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a precious little treasure for you to receive. Gorgeous! And what a happy post to read, thanks so much for sharing your day with us : ) xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)