Thursday, May 24, 2012

Chocolate Fudge Cake

I am well and truly hooked on yet another season of MasterChef. And this year, Angus is into it for the first time too. His favourite is Gary, closely followed by George and then "the big fella", as he refers to Matt. The other night, Peter Gilmore's Eight-Textured Chocolate Cake literally had me drooling. An absolute work of art. I'm determined to get myself along to Quay restaurant at some stage, just to order one of those beauties for dessert.

This afternoon presented the perfect opportunity for a bit of baking. Cold, rainy, just the kind of weather to have the oven cranking away to heat the house nicely. And I just so happened to find the simplest of simple recipes in my Women's Weekly Easy Cakes & Biscuits cookbook. Whilst it is no Eight-Textured Chocolate Cake, it is a mighty fine alternative. Deceptively light and velvety (given all that dark chocolate inside) and completely YUM. The only thing missing was a dollop of vanilla ice-cream or double cream. Next time!

Chocolate Fudge Cake

250g dark eating chocolate, chopped
125g butter, chopped coarsely
2/3 cup caster sugar
2/3 cup self-raising flour
4 eggs, beaten lightly

Preheat oven to 180 degrees (160 for fan-forced)
Grease 20cm x 30cm rectangular pan
Line base & long sides with baking paper
Stir chocolate and butter in medium heatproof bowl over
saucepan of simmering water 
(do not allow the water to touch base of bowl)
Combine chocolate mixture and remaining ingredients in medium bowl
Beat on low speed with electric mixer until ingredients are combined
Increase speed to medium; beat about 3 minutes or until mixture
is changed in colour and smooth
Pour mixture into pan
Bake about 30 minutes
Stand cake in pan 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire rack
to cool
Serve dusted with cocoa powder, if desired



12 comments:

  1. Looks divine, something about cold weather and chocolate I think! Save a spot for me at Quay by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I have copied and kept your recipe it sounds delicious and I think I have all of those ingredients on hand. Perfect! My brother in law used to work at the quay and he mentioned that Peter was on Masterchef the other night. We don't really watch it. I did last season because we know Kate so I watched on a Sunday night to see how she went. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I will give this one a try too, my boys will love it.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. I'm coming to Quay too, although Brett thinks it looked easy and has offered to make it for us! Yeah right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at 'chocolate fudge cake'!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! Fudge cake is my fave!! xo K

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those big chocolatey moist pieces of cake look delicious. It's a rainy day here too and I've borrowed my son's laptop to pop in and catch up on you all. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! that looks delicious Julie! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm coming for afternoon tea at your house!! Or morning tea, whichever suits. If it i'llmeet you at Quay for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh stop that! I've just finished brushing my teeth. And now this. You're ruining my 'trying to be good diet'. Really badly!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)