Monday, March 5, 2012

Passionfruit Curd Cakes

Over the weekend, I was back in the kitchen. It's been some weeks since I created a yummy sweet treat to enjoy and a family lunch for our niece's seventh birthday was just about the best excuse to get baking again. Being an occasion for the young ones, I wanted to take along a little something more for the adults. As it turned out, this one pleased both young and old.

I have flicked past this recipe many a time, during a search for that elusive 'perfect' cake to try. I realised it may have been my reluctance to attempt anything with the word 'curd' in it's name. Such an unattractive word and in my ignorance I failed to appreciate the beauty that is curd. Upon closer inspection I discovered this recipe actually calls for some of my favourite ingredients. And boy, have I been missing out. This, is a cake for passionfruit lovers, it literally oozes with the stuff. Filled with relatively basic ingredients and fairly simple steps. The only consideration being the number of steps involved... there are a few. But SO worth it. Sweet and soft and creamy and DELICIOUS. My Women's Weekly Cupcakes & Cookies pocket cookbook does it again.

Passionfruit Curd Cakes

90g butter, softened
1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
2 eggs
1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
1/4 cup (60ml) passionfruit pulp*
85g packet passionfruit jelly
1 cup (250ml) boiling water
1 cup (80g) desiccated coconut
1/2 cup (125ml) thickened cream, whipped**

Passionfruit Curd

2 eggs, beaten lightly
1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup (60ml) passionfruit pulp
60g butter, chopped coarsely

Make passionfruit curd
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180/160 degrees fan-forced
Line a 12 hole muffin pan with paper cases
Combine butter, sugar, eggs and flour in small bowl of electric mixer
Beat on low speed until ingredients are just combined
Increase speed to medium
Beat until mixture is changed to a paler colour
Stir in passionfruit pulp
Divide mixture among cases, smooth surface
Bake about 20 minutes
Turn cakes top-side up, onto wire rack to cool
Dissolve jelly in boiling water
Refrigerate about 30 minutes or until set to the 
consistency of unbeaten egg white
Remove cases from cakes
Roll cakes in jelly
Leave cakes to stand in jelly about 15 minutes,
turning occasionally
Roll cakes in coconut; place on wire rack over tray
Refrigerate 30 minutes

Passionfruit Curd (method)

Combine ingredients in small heatproof bowl
Place over small saucepan of simmering water
Stir constantly until mixture thickens slightly and
coats the back of a spoon
Remove from heat
Cover tightly; refrigerate curd until cold

* Instead of using fresh passionfruit, I used a can of John West passionfruit pulp in syrup... did the job perfectly
** Whenever I whip cream I cannot help myself from turning it into chantilly cream, 
adding a few drops of vanilla extract & a tablespoonful of icing sugar... so SO tasty



13 comments:

  1. oh well, they look amazing, I bet they taste yummy,x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, not well. (I must check what I'm typing before I send.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look AMAZING!!! I'm filing this away for 'one day' when I have some time on my hands!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me laugh - I love the bit about the word 'curd'! So with you there. But these cakes look delicious. Hope you're feeling well and doing ok x

    ReplyDelete
  5. They don;t look at all like what the word 'curd' conjures up.
    Or is that 'rhymes with'???
    Gorgeous - bet they were yummy.
    Great to see you gettin' your bake on again.
    :-) xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum J. Good to see you back in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look amazing! You would be a welcome addition to any party with all of your delish baked goods xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm curd is a 'funny' word agree! They looks scrummy though, glad you got your 'bake' back xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I laughed when I read your comment about the word curd! I'm the same. But now I see these little treasures up close in your pics...mmmm...yummo! Might have to give these a whirl! Thanks for the inspiration. Alison xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness Julie, these look and sound divine, I can't wait to try them :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. So yummy! You are a talent in the kitchen, no doubt! We'll have to afternoon tea one day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look delicious! Anything covered in coconut gets my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look mouthwatering! You are quite the baker young lady!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)