Thursday, March 1, 2012

Lawnmower

I was born in the (late) seventies and therefore, a child of the eighties. If it's one thing that remains vivid in my mind, it's the hair. Not so much my own, but that of my older brothers. The seriously thick and lustrous mops they sported on their heads. Affectionately termed 'shags' I believe. Whatever they were, it was certainly a fascinating era for men's hair. And along with the music and the fashion and the cars, it's a fond memory of mine. So from this, a saying stemmed and I haven't thought about it in a long time. But it's one that was bandied around regularly in our household of six boys... all with long and untamed locks. 

Last weekend, the boys were having a rare snuggle on the lounge and I dived for the camera, attempting to capture the magic moment. As I looked through my lens, I couldn't help but notice how obvious their recent (home job) haircuts looked. All fresh and mown back. And it hit me. Any one of my brothers would surely ask if they'd... 'been in a fight with a lawnmower?'. Such a ridiculously bizarre saying. Maybe it's an Aussie thing, maybe it's a seventies/eighties thing. To me, it will always be a brother thing and reflecting on this, I couldn't help but smile.

In a dramatic twist of irony, all six of my brothers are now as bald as badgers. The dastardly baldness gene claimed every one of them by the time they reached their mid thirties. Crying shame.

12 comments:

  1. As a fellow child of the (late) 70s, that term got bandied around at our house two and sadly my brothers are also now bald and well receding.

    A lovely shot... and memory xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, that's so funny! I had forgotten that saying... I might try it out on my kids, see what kind of looks I get back. Just for fun!

    Your two look so cute, and I'm really glad to hear that you are smiling. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard that saying! But I think you did a pretty good job on their hair! Cuties! Well done mama! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You crack me up, Jules! I haven't heard that saying for eons. You little ripper ☺. J x PS Have you considered turning off word veri? It's become so much harder, thanks to Old Boy Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny...I remember that saying too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hee hee.
    So cute - and those beautiful boys of yours do have gorgeous locks.
    :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah kids and their hair, we all have hidden little memories of those days! My young one just wont wear clips or let me get scissors near her so she is one big boffhead at the moment. so very cute!x

    ReplyDelete
  8. But you know what, I bet you love their hair. Just like I love my boys' hair. I have one with a bowl cut, apparently, and one with a mullet, but I love their hair, and I love cutting it for now. It won't last long....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that saying J!!!
    Gorgeous pic of your newly cropped little big men xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dad used to say that too. He was born in the 1930s so I'm thinking it maybe was an old aussie saying. Haven't heard it for years (Dad passed away in 1990). Thanks for reminding me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha Ive never heard that saying! Just found your blog- love it! I have 8 brothers so I know what a house of boys is like!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure it must be an Aussie saying because it's so silly ... & I still say it!
    Anyway the boys look cute with their new cuts!
    x
    Melissah from Coastal Style

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)