Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Embracing change

Meal times were turning into a bit of a daily nightmare around here. Then about a week or so ago, I threw in the towel. Tired of having food pushed, refused or thrown on the floor, coupled with a filthy attitude... one night I turned the spoon back on the aggressor and walked away. To my complete and utter surprise, silence. Silence AND every last morsel of food demolished.

Sometimes I overlook when my babies are ready to go to the next stage. I don't always see it coming and certainly don't realise when it's right in front of me. Like a clingy mama duck, I ruffle my feathers and fight to protect and nurture and keep them close. But this little duckling is now twenty months old and I almost can't believe it. He will be two in such a short time and he WILL want to do things on his own, for himself. He WILL insist on this. Instead of battling it, I need to embrace it. Watching him feed his own hungry mouth these days, I couldn't be happier. Children really have an intuitive way of teaching themselves... and their Mama's. 










                   

11 comments:

  1. How adorable!
    I'm guilty of the same Mummy trap.
    Being puzzled/frustrated by Magoo's behaviour - and then finally (usually in the middle of a night) realising that I've been ignoring or misreading the signs.
    What a big boy you have on your hands now!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at the concentration going on there with the peas! Well done Julz for recognising exactly what this gorgeous boy wanted/needed! Btw, I loooooooove this kids hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, look at his gorgeous chubby hands!

    He's beautiful. You're doing a great job!

    Rach x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful. I used to love watching my son as a toddler try to demolish a tub of yogurt. Your baby is a growin'! (love the first shot with tongue helping the concentraton!) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Julie! You clever girl. *Sigh*. I wish I could have such success on Planet Baby! J x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good little man!! Very clever approach - sometimes you need to know when to back off hey. Good lessen for us all to learn :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree, I have these moments all. the. time.

    Loving the pics of your growing little man!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely pics and what a big step!
    x
    Melissah from Coastal Style

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your son. You've probably gathered that from all the swooning comments over him! Just so cute x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It wasn't that long ago that we were going through the same stage. I don't know why I was fighting it, meals times are so much more pleasant now.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh!

    HILARIOUS!

    Look how proud he looks :)

    Max taught me a similar lesson. Only ... It was his day sleeping. I didn't realise he was ready to drop to one, & kept forcing two on him.

    So glad he showed me, as I've been HANGING for him to drop to one sleep!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)