Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Orange Cake

As a child I had a pretty strong dislike for orange cake. My Mama was always baking treats for us kids and I can recall turning my nose up at afternoon tea, if I came home from school and she had baked orange cake. What a brat! Now I don't know if my taste buds have matured or I have just become a bigger piggy when it comes to all things sweet, but I now really love orange cake. In saying that, this one is the first I have ever made. And it was so completely simple and lovely, I had to share. Soft and delicious, with just the right amount of citrusy zing. Perfect for afternoon tea... in my opinion... and the boys actually liked it... obviously not quite as fussy as their Mama was. 


Orange Cake

150g butter, softened
1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
2/3 cup (150g) caster sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups (225g) self-raising flour
1/4 cup (60ml) milk
3/4 cup (120g) icing sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice

Preheat oven to 160 degrees (fan-forced). Grease deep 20cm round cake pan
Beat butter, rind, caster sugar, eggs, flour and milk in medium bowl with electric
mixer on low speed until just combined
Increase speed to medium; beat about 3 minutes or until mixture is smooth
Spread mixture into pan; bake about 40 minutes
Stand cake in pan 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool
Combine sifted icing sugar and juice in small bowl; spread over cake


9 comments:

  1. Ha ha! You were a funny girl..I think most kids wouldn't turn their nose up at an orange cake..but you know, my brother hated strawberries for years..not even trying them..then when he did he loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUm, I must say I'm bi of an orange cake fan, this one does look good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah can't do orange cake. Don't know why! Lemon but not orange! I'll just trust you that it tastes good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds divine! So funny how tastes change isn't it? Will definitely be giving this a go. Oh and I just read about your new venture Button Tots! Well done Julie, it all looks fantastic xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always turned my nose up at orange cake and to be honest I'm not sure that I've ever tried it as an adult. It might be time to give these mature taste buds a run and see what they think of it these days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are always baking lovely treats. I think I am going to "borrow" this recipe and whip it up over the weekend. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum! Orange cakes is one of my favourites, so nice for Spring and Summer! xo K

    ReplyDelete
  8. Orange cake is one of my faves - I am pretty good at convincing myself it's semi-healthy being made with oranges and all!

    Melissah from Coastal Style

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't been around for awhile, purely as I moved to WP and so now I never log in to see my google feed. Alas, I thought of you today. And I drop by to see ORANGE CAKE! Gosh I have missed you!

    Hope you're well Jules. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)