Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Anzac Biscuits (Choc-Slathered)

Today I was on an Anzac bikkie baking mission. It's a tradition for me to whip up a batch for Anzac Day every year and I wasn't about to break with tradition... or maybe just a little. Over the years, I have attempted that many recipe variations of the humble Anzac biscuit, I really don't have a favourite one. If anything, I'm totally confused as to what is the right combo of ingredients and/or preparation to make the perfect cookie.

So this year, I took one straight out of The Women's Weekly Easy Cakes & Biscuits book. Easy! But being the chocoholic sweet tooth that I am, I added my own variation, in what I like to call the 'choc-slathered' version of Anzac bikkies. Totally indulgent. Totally delicious. And if there is any spare chocolate lying around the house... so worth slathering a few of those babies in it.


Anzac Biscuits (Choc-Slathered)

Preparation & cook time: 35mins 

125g (4 ounces) butter, chopped
2 tablespoons golden syrup or treacle
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup (40g) desiccated coconut
1 cup (90g) rolled oats
1 cup (150g) plain flour

Preheat oven to 160 degrees. 
Line oven trays with baking paper
Stir butter, syrup and water in large saucepan over low heat until smooth
Remove from heat; stir in soda then remaining ingredients
Roll tablespoons of mixture into balls
Place about 5cm (2 inches) apart on trays, flatten slightly
Bake about 20mins
Cool on trays

Choc-Slather

I used approx 150g Cadbury Dairy Milk
Melted in a heat proof jug, sitting in a small saucepan 
of boiling water
Then generously coated the underside of a handful of bikkies



10 comments:

  1. Oh my ... they look delicious!
    Wish I was spending Anzac day with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness! they look divine! i'm doing my anzac biscuit making in the morning. i'm going to relish the fact that i have my girls and hubsy home - mid week!
    have a wonderful day *remembering* tomorrow. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look and sound devine! I've been inspired by the many people who have shared about their Anzac Biscuit baking... I think I might make a batch of my own today. What I love about Anzac Biscuits is that the ingredients are so simple and always in my pantry. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't let an ANZAC Day pass without munching on a few ANZAC biccies. Your recipe sounds delicious.

    When Amelie is older I plan to incorporate the tradition of baking a batch of ANZAC biccies as a conversation starter with her to teach her about ANZAC Day. Hopefully with a greater understanding she'll forgive me for dragging her out of bed before dawn to attend the dawn service :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh they look so yummy, just what I need with my coffee.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum J. We normally do the big ANZAC biscuit bake for today too, this year though we made ANZAC muffins for a change. They were yummo, will send you the recipe, I'm sure all your boys will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow....I'm doing that to mine next year!! Yum. We always just do the traditional Anzac, but clearly a little chocolate and I'm easily led astray!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How delicious are Anzacs with a bit of chocolate smeared on top!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)