Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Puree all round

With Felix now on solids (funny how we call it that when it's consistency tends to be anything but solid), I am well and truly back into the swing of buying, prepping and storing the freshest of frrresh fruit and vegies. I chose not to feed Angus any pre-packaged baby food, be it in jars, boxes or pouches. I once tried to feed him on Rafferty's organic something or other, but he vehemently rejected it. Worked out very well really, as I'm significantly turned off by the look and smell of the goop that comes out of those pouches. Bleeeugh. 


The fresh is best theme is back for Felix. The only exception being (as with Angus), I do use the good old Farex baby rice cereal. Angus only lasted on plain rice cereal for a week or so. Felix, not even a week. But this time around I am using the rice cereal for a little longer, more as a thickener to the fruit & veg concoctions.


Which brings me to my FAVOURITE utensil in the kitchen at the moment. The Mouli Baby by Moulinex! (or 'baby mule' as Angus calls it). Sounds quite fancy. Though fancy it certainly isn't. It is oh so clever. Yet an amazingly simple invention (I mean I probably wouldn't have thought of it, but I'm sure glad someone did). 


I was so very lucky to inherit this practical piece of brilliance from my thoughtful sister-in-law (mother of three herself) when Angus was a wee bub. Originally purchased when my niece was starting on solids, coming up to twenty... one... years ago. Which is why I think there is almost a retro influence to it. Not to mention a little piece of family tradition being formed as it is passed down the line. This trusty work horse has definitely stood the test of time and is serving us well in our busy household.


So for the next couple of months I'll be blending up a puree storm of pumpkin, carrot, zucchini, sweet potato, banana, pear, blueberries and the like. All while having myself a grand old time using the Mouli Baby... yeah! Who knew fruit and vegies could be so much fun?!






2 comments:

  1. That little instrument looks amazing. I wish I'd had one when my 3 were going through the pureeing stage. Love the little containers you're using for storage as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing! I was very lucky my sister-in-law kept it for me. As a mum, there are just so many things you don't know exist, many of which could make our lives that much easier. Thanks for stopping by Sarah :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)