Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Fresh Start

When I think back to this time last year, I'm reminded of that sinking feeling of dread, as Angus embarked on his first days in care. The worry that plagued me each day I dropped him off, not to mention the days leading up. I'll never forget the look on his sweet, sad, little face when I had to go. And the tears. So many shed, by both of us. It was a tumultuous year for all of us, with two different centres for Angus and a short stint in care for Felix. Very stressful, unsettling times.  


Today, Angus commenced his first day of the real deal preschool. School hours, school terms, no nap times, proper lessons. My, what a difference a year makes. Confident, peppy, bubbling with enthusiasm. My heart burst with love and pride, as we walked the short distance from home, chatting as we went. I am so in awe of this spirited four year old and all he has learnt, all he has taught himself and all that he is so eager and willing to learn. The drop off went as smoothly as the day itself. His lovely, young teacher Angela, offering only encouraging, positive stories about his first encounter with preschool. But the best part by far, no tears, from either of us. 







Addendum: Just before bedtime this evening, Angus made a revelation about his new preschool. "I don't like it and don't want to go back". I have to admit, a part of me broke when I heard those words. Upon further gentle probing I discovered the concern was that he hadn't made any new friends. I was somewhat relieved to hear we are only dealing with a friend related apprehension. Friends are something he can work on. After a good long discussion, we were back on track with the positives of his brand new school. The sparkle in his eye returned once again, before he drifted off to sleep. "Next week, I'll tell the kids, I'm Angus!" he chirped. Sometimes I do forget just how fragile the world appears at his age. 

15 comments:

  1. Oh Bless, my Ella starts Kindy on Friday, which is kind of pre-kindy in NSW so I guess we will be going through the same thing, with having to find new friends....all good, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just about to write a gushing reply about how I'm so relieved to hear that a year can make all the difference but then I saw your addendum.

    Nawww Angus sounds like such a sweet and sensitive soul.

    I look forward to hearing about all his new found friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh what a cute post. Bless him in those pictures too, he looks lovely. I hate the thought of my two going off to school. Sounds like you dealt with it really well and I'm sure he'll make loads of friends very soon. Keep us posted with all the news xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless him! I'm sure he'll make a tonne of friends and settle just fine.
    Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my heart is breaking for him too! Making friends is the hardest thing ever! Especially to a four year old!

    I must say that we've had a similar journey. I have a five and a half year old who starts school this year. He started kinder last year so confidently, but late last year, something changed and he became clingy and just wanted me. He's even staying with me when normally he'd happily run off. So, I'm nervous about two weeks' time when he starts school here in Melbourne.

    My heart is in my throat for you both! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Angus, he looks so grown up! Cool Backpack!
    I got all teary though when you said he was worried about not making any friends, I just wanted to hold him close and give him a big cuddle.
    I have no doubt he will shine next week and have a new BFF before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angus looks so proud with his 'big boy' school bag - almost as big as him! With smiles like that, he'll make friends in no time. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless his cotton socks (although he appears not to be wearing any!)! I loooove that his bag is as big as he is! What a gorgeous, gorgeous boy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh bless.
    Well done both of you.
    What a positive start to the year.

    As for the new friends, he'll be crawling in them soon!!
    :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous Julie, so glad you and Angus(sans friends) had a smoothe tear free start :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet pictures :) He will make friends in no time flat Tiny pebble in the road.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh look at him. He'll have a dozen playmates in no time I'm sure.

    I worry about Lil going into big school next week, the only two girls she knows are ones who have picked on her. I'm hopeful she will find new (nice) friends quickly. X

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope he makes a ton of new friends! Little kids are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh such a handsome little guy, all grown up ready for preschool! such exciting times mama. He is such a sweetie. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh munchkin. I am sure he will have a bucketload of friends in no time at all. Doesnt it just make you want to go and spend the whole day with them itntroducing them to everyone. I find it so hard to let them go and do it on their own, but I know they have a ball once they get into it and it is just me being an overprotective mother hen.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)