Saturday, January 14, 2012

Holiday Road

If there is one thing I have learnt this past week or so, it's that holidays can certainly bring out the brilliant best and the reprehensible worst in a family. My boys and I embarked on an eight day road trip to the beautiful sunshine state. It was every bit as wonderful as I imagined... and at times, every bit as manic. Scott and I both knew there would be moments when we would kick ourselves silly for making the decision to drive and not fly us up. But with all the magnificent memories behind us, we don't regret it for a second.


In some ways I wish I had been able to blog or at least keep a journal each day we were away, as so many funny incidents and noteworthy happenings will run into one another as I reflect. However, the time out from laptops and phones and the long, precious hours spent with family, will never be replaced. So I am glad these days in January 2012, when the sun shone permanently big and bright and blazing, are etched forever in my heart... and judging by the extensive collection of happy snaps captured, forever in my mind.


Eager little souls bounding onto the scorching sands of Maroochydore Beach for the first time... testing the waters, clothes and all. Views of an infinite coast, stretching for miles and miles... just blue ocean, golden earth and powdery sky. Messy morning locks, laughs and cuddles on a balcony, in the warm sun of a new day. Lunch overlooking one of the best surf beaches I've ever been to, glorious Coolum. Father and son sharing a drink and a quiet wave of gentle serenity. Chubby, soft, baby skin and tangled wet hair. Sunscreen and salt crusted faces. Dinners at 5.30 in family friendly eateries. Happy, but tired, little eyes. Living, loving, learning, on holiday road. 











































24 comments:

  1. Ah the balmy waters of Qld! Pleased you enjoyed your trip north... Gorgeous snaps. We are heading to the sunshine coast soon for a mini break... it's less than 3 hours from sjw... love it! gxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We missed you Julz! Welcome back. It looks like you had a gloorious time! Those beaches look amazing. I have never been to QLD but am desperate to go!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My gosh! What beautiful memories in the making. Love those cheeky grins!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous trip - manic parts and all!!
    The photots are just gorgeous and you all look so relaxed, refreshed and happy.
    Like holidays, really!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous pics, looks like you had a wonderful time. It's so much fun making memories xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks likes fun...welcome back :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome home! Looks like we put on some great weather and hospitality for you up here. The smiles and relaxed faces say it all - a great beach holiday was had by all. Good to have you back in blog land xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh it looks amazing!i love that part of the world!! Makes me long for a holiday or st te very least a day at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like an awesome holiday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back babe. You look like you guys had such a fabulous time. You are all tanned and looking very relaxed and gorgeous. So glad you had a wonderful time Hun xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just beautiful Julie, looks like you had the perfect break. Good that you also took time away from technology, well done.

    Glad to have you back. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG I was only 5 minutes from you my friend wish I knew you were coming I would have had you over for lunch or dinner, so happy you had fun around our little world here on the Sunshine Coast. Your photos are awesome, we spent 5 days at Stradbroke Island last week had an amazing time. Hope you have a wonderful day dearest one.

    Always Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  13. so lovely to have you back! what a wonderful looking holiday...road trip and all. great photos julie. what a beautiful location. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE summer holidays in all their wonderful and manic glory!! Gorgeous pics : )
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  15. your family is literally glowing in these photos. that trip is EXACTLY what we need here right now. welcome home:)
    x ashley

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, looks like fun. I love little adventures with the kids....brave move to go by car...either way they have their drawbacks though! I love that part of the world - and you scored some top weather too! Have a good week;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos J. So glad you had a wonderful time and got some relaxation in.
    Looking forward to holiday stories!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Toss them in my car, i make the trip frequently from Canberra to Brisbane to visit my husband (or use his free bachelor pad for a holiday) & my children are not allowed to even think about conflict as i drive. Best addition to the trip most recently was tossing in the German Shepherd, kept my 3rd girl silent & caring for him. He was the best behaved of my 4 children. All i can say (& all our children have ever known) is 3 rows of seats!!
    Sounds like a gorgeous adventure you're having there, just lovely, sand in your swimming trunks & all, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh how I have missed you!
    And I agree with Posie - you look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh such those photos speak a thousand words Julie! looks like a marvelous holiday filled with wonderful memories. Beautiful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have some gorgeous holiday memories right there!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Maroochydoore is beautiful. No? I don't think you needed to journal it with words. You have done more than an amazing job just by the beautiful photos.

    Gosh, that camera is getting a work out!

    You take such gorgeous pictures. xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful pictures!! Everyone lookings tan and happy :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)