Thursday, August 16, 2012

Chocolate Freckle Slice

I'm in slice mode when it comes to baking at the moment. Probably because they are so quick and easy. This one almost floored me when I realised it called for a whole small jar of Nutella... so decadent. I'm not a fan of Nutella on bread, but in baking, looooove it. This cheery sweet will form part of a little care package I'm dropping off in the morning, for a brave and beautiful friend. Nothing like a bit of homemade comfort. 

Chocolate Freckle Slice

185g butter, softened
220g chocolate hazelnut spread
1/3 cup (75g) firmly packed brown sugar
1 3/4 cups (250g) plain flour
200g freckles

Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Grease 20cm x 30cm rectangular pan; 
line base and long sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm over sides.
Beat butter, spread and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until combined.
Stir in sifted flour, in two batches.
Press dough into pan; smooth surface with spatula. Bake 25 minutes.
Remove pan from oven; working quickly, press freckles firmly onto slice
in rows about 2cm apart.
Cool slice in pan before cutting.


8 comments:

  1. Oh yuuuummm.
    I'm sure your friend will be most appreciative - of you and your slice.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just looking at those treats will lift her spirits, what a generous gesture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I've never seen anything like this. We LOVE freckles in our house. I think I know what I'm baking tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so good (and easy to make) but unfortunately I can't make it for my household as my husband has a nut allergy. I'll keep it in mind though, next time I need to make a treat for someone else. I agree that there is nothing like a bit of homemade comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, We will give this a try in our house this weekend! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my that is my kind of slice!! You are such a great baker, I'm always in awe of your delights! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could never make this... the freckles would never last long enough to end up on the actual slice!!!! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, I love nutella so this is right up my alley! I'm sure your friend loved this sweet gesture Julie! :) xo K

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)