Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Basic Scones


I stumbled on this easy-peasy recipe for scones yesterday. I was in a bit of a bind, with no sweet treats in the house and my brother and sister-in-law popping over mid-afternoon. All of my family love a good cuppa and a nice bikkie or piece of cake to accompany it. And I, love to bake a nice accompaniment. Match made in heaven. These were thrown together in under forty five minutes (including whipping of the cream). I haven't baked scones in a while, so was a little unsure how they would turn out. But this recipe is a winner. Not wanting to have too many scones leftover, I halved the ingredients, which gave a sweet batch of eight. Perfect amount for afternoon tea... and a couple of leftovers for Scott
Tasty Tip: Add a handful of icing sugar and a dash of vanilla extract when whipping the cream... delicious!

Basic Scones 
(super simple)

plain flour, for dusting
3 cups self-raising flour
80g butter, cubed
1 cup milk
jam & whipped cream, to serve

Preheat oven to 160 degrees (fan-forced)
Lightly dust a baking tray with plain flour
Sift self-raising flour into a large bowl
Using fingertips, rub butter into flour until mixture resembles
breadcrumbs
Make a well in the centre
Add milk
Mix with a flat-bladed knife, until mixture forms a soft dough
Add more milk if required
Turn onto a lightly floured surface
Knead gently until smooth (do not over-knead as scones will become tough)
Cut scones as preferred (I just did mixed shapes of 2cm thickness)
Place scones on tray, 1cm apart
Sprinkle tops with a little plain flour
Bake 20-25 minutes
Transfer to wire rack
Serve with jam & cream





13 comments:

  1. Yum! These look delish and a nice simple recipe. Nice to be back here following.

    p.s - loving your harbour bridge pics xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummo! I've never made scones before but these sound so simple and delish I will have to give them a go xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Julie, I could nail a whole plate-full of them right now! Unfortunately I have to make do with the remnants of lollybags are hidden in in the cupboard. Poo.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect comfort food...yours turned out wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep they look nice and fluffy perfect with a cup of tea. So simple!! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look delish. Love a good scone. I use a very similar recipes. Or sometimes the lemonade one if I want really big ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. they look great J! I have only ever made scones once...

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is nothing better than a freshly baked scone and cup of tea. Delightful! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I havent made scones for ages...maybe a fathers day treat?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh they look lovely, perfect.x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love a great scone...in fact on my to bake list for this Fathers Day...I always the Cream and Lemonade scone...3 ingredients and never fails me.

    Happy weekend to you. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum - I could go some scones right now! Always a satisfying feeling when something just works!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)