Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Basic Scones


I stumbled on this easy-peasy recipe for scones yesterday. I was in a bit of a bind, with no sweet treats in the house and my brother and sister-in-law popping over mid-afternoon. All of my family love a good cuppa and a nice bikkie or piece of cake to accompany it. And I, love to bake a nice accompaniment. Match made in heaven. These were thrown together in under forty five minutes (including whipping of the cream). I haven't baked scones in a while, so was a little unsure how they would turn out. But this recipe is a winner. Not wanting to have too many scones leftover, I halved the ingredients, which gave a sweet batch of eight. Perfect amount for afternoon tea... and a couple of leftovers for Scott
Tasty Tip: Add a handful of icing sugar and a dash of vanilla extract when whipping the cream... delicious!

Basic Scones 
(super simple)

plain flour, for dusting
3 cups self-raising flour
80g butter, cubed
1 cup milk
jam & whipped cream, to serve

Preheat oven to 160 degrees (fan-forced)
Lightly dust a baking tray with plain flour
Sift self-raising flour into a large bowl
Using fingertips, rub butter into flour until mixture resembles
breadcrumbs
Make a well in the centre
Add milk
Mix with a flat-bladed knife, until mixture forms a soft dough
Add more milk if required
Turn onto a lightly floured surface
Knead gently until smooth (do not over-knead as scones will become tough)
Cut scones as preferred (I just did mixed shapes of 2cm thickness)
Place scones on tray, 1cm apart
Sprinkle tops with a little plain flour
Bake 20-25 minutes
Transfer to wire rack
Serve with jam & cream





13 comments:

  1. Yum! These look delish and a nice simple recipe. Nice to be back here following.

    p.s - loving your harbour bridge pics xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummo! I've never made scones before but these sound so simple and delish I will have to give them a go xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Julie, I could nail a whole plate-full of them right now! Unfortunately I have to make do with the remnants of lollybags are hidden in in the cupboard. Poo.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so yummo Jules :0

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect comfort food...yours turned out wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep they look nice and fluffy perfect with a cup of tea. So simple!! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look delish. Love a good scone. I use a very similar recipes. Or sometimes the lemonade one if I want really big ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. they look great J! I have only ever made scones once...

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is nothing better than a freshly baked scone and cup of tea. Delightful! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I havent made scones for ages...maybe a fathers day treat?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love a great scone...in fact on my to bake list for this Fathers Day...I always the Cream and Lemonade scone...3 ingredients and never fails me.

    Happy weekend to you. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum - I could go some scones right now! Always a satisfying feeling when something just works!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog, reading this post and for leaving a comment. Seeing a comment on my posts always makes my day :o)